GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF YOUTH AFFAIRS & SPORTS
(DEPARTMENT OF SPORTS) LOK SABHA
QUESTION NO. 4005
TO BE ANSWERED ON 10.08.2017
Development of Sports 4005.
Will the Minister of YOUTH AFFAIRS AND SPORTS be pleased to state:
- whether the Government has taken cognizance of the critical role played by the sports specially Olympics in community development and if so, the details thereof; (b) whether the Government is aware that the “Concept Note on Long Term Plan for Development of Talent in Olympic Sports” prepared in 2013 stated that India would obtain at least 20 medals and finish in the midtwenties in the Olympics 2016; (c) if so, the reaction of the Government thereto in view of the fact that India could achieve only two medals and obtained the 67th position in the Olympics - 2016; (d) whether the Government has undertaken a review to assess the need of financial and technical resources to provide greater support to our athletes/ sportspersons; and (e) if so, the details and the outcome thereof?
THE MINISTER OF STATE (INDEPENDENT CHARGE) FOR YOUTH AFFAIRS & SPORTS (SHRI VIJAY GOEL)
- Yes, Madam. The Government recognizes the power of sport in contributing to people’s physical and mental health. Besides the long established benefits associated with active lifestyle, sports also contributes to gender equality, child and youth development and community development. The Olympic movement hugely contributes to this process. (b) & (c) Long Term Development Plan (LTDP) is prepared by the concerned National Sports Federation with an aim to improve the performance of Indian athletes/teams. The LTDP covers all aspects, such as, Development of Sportsperson, Coaching, Participation and Broadbasing, Domestic tournament Schedule, Participation in International Tournaments, Hosting of Major Events, Facilities and equipment etc. Nevertheless, medal estimation is not covered under the above plan. (d) & (e) Yes, Madam. The Government has constituted the Olympic Task Force under the Chairmanship of Shri Pulella Gopichand, Olympian & Coach for preparing action plan for next three Olympic Games 2020, 2024 and 2028.
The Terms of Reference of the Task Force are:-
- To suggest a comprehensive action plan including short-term, medium-term and long-term measures for effective participation of Indian sportspersons in the next three Olympic Games to be held in 2020, 2024 and 2028.
- To suggest effective methods to identify core probable/medal prospects for 2020 Olympics, their coaches and support staff.
iii. To suggest effective talent identification system for 2024 and 2028 Olympics.
- To identify components of world class support system for elite sportspersons and lay down the pathways.
- To suggest ways to achieve synergy in the efforts of key stakeholders within Government of India and across State Governments, Indian Olympic Association, National Sports Federations, NGOs etc.
- To suggest ways to significantly improve the standards of coaching and sports scientist within the country.
vii. To suggest ways to create and upgrade sports infrastructure necessary to train top-level athletes.
viii. To make suggestions regarding foreign training and exposure of top-level athletes.
- To make recommendations on any other matters referred to the Task Force by the Government of India.
The Task Force has submitted its interim report to the Government.
Further, review of performance and taking measures for providing maximum assistance to sportspersons is an ongoing process. The Department had held consultations with various stake holders including eminent sportspersons, coaches and National Sports Federations (NSFs), etc. in an effort to improve India’s performance in future competitions. It has been decided, among others, to enhance performance monitoring, emphasize on greater role of coaches in devising training programmes of medal prospects and strengthen sports science set up. National Observers have been appointed in select disciplines to support athletes and the federations.
Although promotion and development of sport in the country is responsibility of the concerned National Sports Federation (NSF) and State Governments & UTs, the Government supplements the efforts of the NSFs by providing financial assistance for various purposes under its Scheme of Assistance to National Sports Federations. Under this scheme, identified promising sportspersons/teams are provided with all the requisite facilities for their preparations, such as wholesome nutritious diet, food supplements, equipment, state-of-the-art infrastructure, lodging & travelling facilities, services of reputed Indian and Foreign Coaches/Supporting staff, Scientific & Medical supports, Sports Kit etc. besides financial assistance for their abroad training and participation in International Competitions in India and abroad.
Further, NSFs have been advised by the Department to identify medal prospects and their support staff for the 2020 Olympic Games so as to ensure that the core probable get support of dedicated world class support staff on a continuing basis to be able to work as a coherent team and deliver. *****